3.30.2006

Ok, totally slacking with this thing lately. How's everyone doin? Congrats to Senpai Gary! He passed his black belt test - dang I still remember when you just started taking classes. Crazy!

I heart New York!
I went to NY last week with Sunny to check out the neighborhoods and to see if she could get a pharm rotation at a hospital out there. We got in Thursday night and headed to the Milford Plaza in Times Square. Bright lights and crowds greeted us as our friendly but lead-foot taxi driver, Frank, drove us into town. That night we walked around Times Square, found a restaurant "off the strip" to subside our hunger. We then made our way to the comedy club, Caroline's, then to the dance club, Lotus, in the Meatpacking district.

Friday we went to NYU Medical Center but had no luck in getting a rotation set up. Apparently NYU is set up for LIU students only. Oh wells...we trekked on to the East Village and SoHo. We went to the Dean and Deluca store and got some coffee beans, cookies, and fruit loops krispy treats. I did buy a new Coach bag, more functional then anything. Jacky met up with us and we grabbed a bday dinner at a sushi place in Greenwich Village. My stomach started screaming at me for eating too much sashimi. We got a chance to walk around Chinatown and Little Italy as well while Jacky did some grocery shopping. After a good nap, we headed out to the Lower East Side again to meet up Jonathan. We hopped around clubs and bars with little or no cover (thank goodness!) - Sutra, some club in a cave, and a couple of other bars. We ended the night with the best pastrami sandwich every from Katz's Deli. Another pound under the belt, nice.

Saturday we went to the WTC site. It was Sunny's first time there and I hadn't seen it since 2002. Ground Zero is pretty clear now. They are probably making some preparations for the rebuilding. Afterwards we walked around TriBeca and had some italian food out there. I had the best peanut butter, chocolate, and white chocolate cookie from the Mocca Cafe (yes that's all in one cookie). Then we hit Canal St. - woohoo, it was fun taking Sunny "dirty shopping" for the first time. Got some decent faux Tiffany jewelry, t-shirts, a cool NY hoodie for sunny, and a D&G belt for Tuan. Oh and I got some Rocking Republic jeans for like $60 (they are normally $200). Ridiculous! Just when we thought we were almost out of energy, we still hit the 8 story Macy's. I got a pair of shoes there. One last stop at H&M..and we were heading back to the hotel for another nap. That night we went to Brooklyn to hit a girls club. Not too bad..shots of patron kept me nice and warm! One more visit to a pizza place before we went to sleep. I slept in my clothes..again.

Sunday we met up Jacky and Trang for coffee. Then Jacky, Sunny, and I headed to Annie's for brunch. Love that place! Last stop, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) gift shop! We saw Central Park along the way. Then back to the hotel to catch our cabbie, Frank, back to JFK airport.

An awesome trip. Now we're both broke. But happy we did it. Gotta do it again!

Pictures to come...

5 comments:

Gary said...

Thanks Divo! I remember when you graduated college ;-)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there to see Sunny do "dirty shopping". I bet it was worth every penny of your flight and hotel!

~ N.

SUNNY said...

nyc was crazy fun... and for all her homegirls that don't know...divo likes to sleep in her club clothes..and change into pj's at 7am. go clubber!

it was fun girl... we do it again!

funkylee said...

Glad u had fun! Who did u see at Caroline's? I have a friend that performs there now. He's Filipino. ;)

Divine said...

i honestly don't remember the comedian's name! oh wells...