Okay call me oversensitive or something, but I was reading Gary's blog this morning basically saying women in their late 20s don't stand a chance getting married and I was like, HUH?!? I am running out of time!! Gary says I'm still a baby at 23 and have nothing worry about! Okay, Divo is chillin. =) But anyways, this is a perfect segue into what I was gonna write about this morning...
Last night I was watching "60 Minutes" and this morning I was watching the Today Show and they both were talking about Sylvia Ann Hewlett's book, Creating a Life. Sylvia did a study of 1000 woman who hold high executive roles and/or make 100,000/year. Here's what she found...
A nationwide survey of high-earning career women conducted in January 2001 shows that 33 percent of them are childless at ages 40-55, a figure that rises to 42 percent in corporate America. By and large, these high-achieving women have not chosen to be childless.
It was pretty interesting because they had this panel of three women who will most likely fall in this category. They all attend Harvard Business School--career oriented, strong-headed women--and insist their career must come before having any children. What they did not know is that even with all the advanced fertility technology and drugs, having a child after 40 may still not be possible.
After age 40 only 3 to 5 percent of those who use the new assisted reproductive technologies (IVF and the like) actually succeed in having a child รณ no matter how much they spend, no matter how hard they try.
Apparently many doctors see women just like this in their offices, uneducated about these facts and depressed that they can no longer bear children. Who could blame them? I mean, think about it--How hard can it be to have a child..they seem to be popping out everywhere, even when they are not initially planned. It can't be hard for me, right?
Well, I don't think the author is trying to be the anti-feminist movement. She's just putting reality on the table. The reality is we only have so many eggs. Women bear the children and thus may have less bandwidth to handle everything (than a guy would-of course, a baby is a handful to both the mother and father).
One of the oddest things the three women said was how hard it was for them to find a guy...here's a standard line of conversation for them with a guy...
So what do you do?
Go to school.
Oh yeah, where do you go?
Oh, a school in Cambridge.
Oh yeah, I'm familiar with/live in Cambridge. Which school?
Harvard business school
Oh...Guy turns his head and walks away...
I freak out again! Great, maybe going to Harvard isn't such a great idea. Who would have known this turns guys away? Is this true?? =) Scaredy cats. =P
No comments:
Post a Comment